Caramel-pecan harvest rolls: A breakfast recipe from the 1960s
Can’t you smell the warm, friendly fragrance as these caramel-y rolls come out of your oven?
They’re the ample, old-fashioned kind that used to take all day. Now they’re quick and easy… and no kneading with Betty Crocker’s new recipe. No fussing, with modern Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast… no sifting, with Gold Medal Flour. And you can refrigerate the dough. Serve fresh-baked homemade Caramel-pecan harvest rolls in minutes!
Modern recipe for Caramel Pecan Rolls from Fleischmann’s
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 envelopes Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (100 F to 110 F)
- 2 eggs
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Spice Islands Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons Karo Light Corn Syrup
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups toasted pecans, chopped
- Place 3/4 cup of butter, 2 teaspoons salt, 3/4 cup of sugar and the hot water in a large bowl; stir until butter melts.
- Combine yeast with 1/2 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees F) in a small bowl, stirring until dissolved.
- Add eggs to slightly cooled butter mixture, then add yeast mixture.
- Add 4 cups flour and beat until smooth.
- Gradually add remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease all sides of the dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Roll dough to a 12- by 20-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Brush top with 1/2 cup melted butter.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon for filling; sprinkle over butter.
- Roll up from long sides, jelly roll style. Cut into 24 equal slices.
- To make the caramel syrup: Combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and cream in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture evenly into two greased 9- by 13-inch pans.
- Sprinkle toasted pecans evenly over syrup in pans.
- Arrange rolls, cut side down, 12 in each pan.
- Cover and let rise until double, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Cuisinart 12-Piece Ceramic Coated Stainless Steel Knives, Comes with 6-Blades and 6-Blade Guards, Color Coded to Reduce Risk of Cross Contamination
Cook with Color Mixing Bowls - 4 Piece Nesting Plastic Mixing Bowl Set with Pour Spouts and Handles (Green)
Pfaltzgraff Kenna Red 16-Piece Porcelain Dinnerware Set, Service for 4
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 253mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 3g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.