Milky wonder cake recipe: An over-the-top Bundt cake made with Milky Way chocolate bars (1970s)
A special delight for youngsters is preparing desserts — and as kids love candy, what could be a better combination than a dessert made with Milky Way candy bars?
This recipe cuts down on several steps in the process, and adds a special flavor to the dessert that children can identify with. Try it out with your little cooks this Christmas. It could be the hit at any children’s party.
Milky Wonder Cake: A recipe to use up leftover Halloween candy (1978)
Here is a cake that may help you take advantage of post-Halloween candy discounts, or help get rid of leftover Halloween candy from trick-or-treating.
But one word of caution: Milky Wonder Cake is one of the sweetest cakes you can make. With the frosting, you will have nine candy bars and four cups of sugar in one dessert.
Milky wonder cake recipe
6 Milky-Way bars (or 13 Fun-Size bars)
1 cup butter or margarine (2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
2-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/4 teaspoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
1. Melt bars and 1/2 cup of butter or margarine in a saucepan over very low heat. Beat remaining 1/2 cup of butter or margarine and sugar in a medium-sized bowl until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well.
2. Add flour and baking soda alternately with buttermilk; stir until smooth.
3. Add melted candy, mixing well. Stir in vanilla and nuts.
4. Bake in moderate oven (350 F) 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched with fingertip. (Top will be quite dark.)
5. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes Remove from pan; cool completely. Frost, if you wish. (Recipe below.)
Makes 1 nine-inch cake
A party-perfect decorated dessert: The Milky Way ice cream log from the ’60s & ’70s
Milky Way frosting recipe
This chocolate frosting complements the Milky Wonder Cake — but is not the frosting shown in the photos here.
3 Milky Way bars
1/2 cup butter
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
In saucepan, over very low heat, melt candy bars and butter. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar. Thin to desired consistency with milk. Use to frost Milky Wonder Cake.
Peanut m&ms confetti cream cones & peanut-sitting-pretties cookies (1969)