Here’s one of several recipes from the promo mini-cookbook, “Party recipes made with your favorite candies,” that the Mars/m&ms Company distributed in magazines nationwide around Christmastime in the late 1960/early 1970s.
6 Milky Way Bars (or 13 fun sized bars)
2 cups cream for whipping
3 pints pistachio ice cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Red and green food colorings
1. Cut an 8-cup round plastic juice container in half lengthwise; seal top end of each half with foil. Line molds smoothly with foil.
2. Cut up Milky Way bars. Combine with 1/4 cup cream in a saucepan. Stir over very low heat until candy melts; cool completely.
3. Beat 3/4 cup of cream until stiff. Fold in chocolate mixture.
4. Unmold ice cream by pulling up on foil; then peeling off. Join the halves together to form a “log.” Put back in the freezer while preparing the frosting.
5. Beat remaining 1 cup cream with sugar and vanilla until stiff. Frost the log with part of the cream. Tint remaining cream with food coloring; decorate “log” with pink flowers and green leaves. Keep frozen.