As light and foamy as a cloud — mixed with delicate precision
This fluffy cherry angel food cake benefits from having sweet chopped cherries mixed into the batter, giving this dessert a festive flair!
To serve this angel food cake, try cutting it with a serrated knife. It may work better not to slice it, but to break it apart with two forks.
One more tip: An angel food cake’s flavor is improved when it’s stored in a tightly-covered container for a day at least.
MORE: Cherry blush cake recipe (1952)
Cherry angel food cake
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons twice sifted flour
- 1-1/4 cups fine granulated sugar
- 1 cup egg whites (8 large)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 375 (F).
- A 9-inch tube pan is required for this cake. Do not oil or grease.
- Measure twice sifted flour into sifter, add 1/4 cup of the sugar.
- Sift together 6 times. Pour back into sifter.
- Measure egg whites, put in mixing bowl (about 2-quart capacity).
- Add salt and beat, preferably with flat wire whip or rotary beater, until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and beat until glossy and stiff enough to stand in peaks but not dry.
- Add remaining cup of sugar, two tablespoons at a time, gently folding and beating after each addition until just blended.
- Fold in flavorings.
- Sift about 1/4 of the dry ingredients over the surface of the beaten egg white mixture.
- Gently fold and cut in using flat wire whip or shallow spoon, being careful not to release the air incorporated in the egg whites. Fold only until the flour is evenly distributed.
- Repeat until all dry ingredients and the maraschino cherries are added.
- Turn into ungreased tube pan and cut through batter gently with a knife to remove large air bubbles.
- Bake at 375 (F) for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Turn cake over in pan on wire rack after removing from oven. Let hang for 1 hour or until cool.
- Loosen with a spatula and shake from pan.
- When cold, serve plain or with any desired frosting. For the cake above, add maraschino cherry halves and pineapple chunks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 0gSugar: 52gProtein: 2g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.