Vintage ice cream flavors: Sweet old-fashioned treats
Here are some of the coolest vintage ice cream flavors (and a few sherbets) introduced during the 1950s. Many of these flavors are long gone, and it was clear that fruit — especially cherry and pineapple — were especially popular.
1. Cherry-Coconut ice cream (Borden’s – 1951)
It’s the creamiest of ice creams… and just filled with juicy red cherries and snow-white coconut aplenty. Wait till you taste it!
2. Burgundy Cherry vintage ice cream flavor (Borden’s – 1951)
Invite delight tonight! Serve this beautiful-looking, luscious-tasting dessert. Big, juicy Burgundy cherries peeking out of smoother-than-smooth Lady Borden ice cream.
3. Strawberry ice cream (Meadow Gold – 1951)
4. Black raspberry vintage ice cream (Sealtest – 1952)
5. Coronation Vanilla ice cream (Meadow Gold – 1953)
To a queen’s taste… and yours: Coronation vanilla
We want you to try this special June delight — that’s practically a sundae in itself! Red and green chunks of Hawaiian pineapple — sun-ripened sweet and juicy. Rich, golden country cream. Pure vanilla from the spice islands. All smooth-frozen the Medal Gold way…
6. Hawaiian ice cream (Meadow Gold – 1955)
New treat! Pink pineapple sherbet loaded with bright, tropic-ripened fruit!
Taste what happens when we take the tangy juice of ripe Hawaiian pineapples, bits of the same good fruit, and smooth-freeze them into pink, frosty sherbet. Even thinking about it makes you feel cooler, doesn’t it?
7. Holiday bisque tortoni ice cream (Lady Borden – 1955)
It’s here. The gayest ice cream of the season. Bright idea for a holiday get-together. Lady Borden Holiday Bisque Tortoni, confetti-ed with luscious red and green pineapple.
8. Candied apple vintage ice cream flavor (Sealtest – 1956)
Old-fashioned taste treat in a brand-new ice cream – All the tantalizing goodness of old-time candied apples… completely recaptured in this brand new Sealtest taste treat.
9. Black Sweet Cherry vintage ice cream (Party Pride – 1956)
10. Banana-Strawberry classic ice cream (Sealtest – 1957)
11. Triple Treat ice cream (Sealtest – 1957)
Dig this crazy mixed-up ice cream! Triple treat – It’s raspberry, vanilla and orange-pineapple. (Man, it’s real cool!)
12. Cherry-Pineapple vintage ice cream flavor (Sealtest – 1957)
You just never tasted anything so deliciously cool!
13. Marshmallow Mint ice cream (Meadow Gold – 1957)
Chocolate ice cream with a bright surprise in every bite!
For our special flavor this month, we’ve taken creamy, colorful mint-flavored marshmallow sauce, and marbled it all through chocolate ice cream.
14. Coconut-Pineapple ice cream (Foremost – 1957)
Shades of the South Pacific! Here’s an exotic ice cream just bursting with fresh sun-sweetened pineapple and crisp snow-white coconut. Set sail for your favorite store, and discover the happiest treat from here to Hawaii.
15. Cherry Nugget ice cream (Sealtest – 1957)
A masterpiece! The all-time favorite! One taste tells why.
16. Lemon drop sherbet (Sealtest – 1957)
Double your pleasure! Luscious lemon sherbet accented with tasty bits of lemon candy.
17. Butterscotch-Pecan vintage ice cream (Borden’s – 1957)
This best-of-butterscotch ice creams has crunchy pieces of pecan in every delicious bite.
18. Coconut fudge ice cream (Sealtest – 1957)
The flavor you’d most like to be marooned with
19. Choco-o-Nut classic ice cream (Sealtest – 1958)
Select buttered almonds in luscious milk chocolate