Vintage Baker’s Chocolate Decadence cake
Here’s a tantalizing holiday cake, made doubly rich with chunks of Baker’s Chocolate and Sun Giant raisins, dates, and almonds. It’ll put everyone in the holiday spirit.
Baker's Chocolate Decadence cake
Yield: 16 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Additional Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours 35 minutes
- 3 squares Baker's semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 package chocolate cake mix or pudding-included cake mix (2 layer size)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup butter
- 6 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup chopped raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 5 squares unsweetened chocolate
- Chop 3 squares chocolate into small chunks and set aside.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water, sour cream, and oil.
- Blend, then beat at medium speed of electric mixer for 4 minutes. Fold in chopped chocolate.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch layer pans.
- Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and finish cooling on racks.
- To make the fruit-nut filling and chocolate frosting, beat 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine until soft.
- Blend in 3 cups confectioner's sugar. Add 1 egg [Editor's note: 1/4 cup pasteurized egg substitute would be safer] and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add 3 additional cups confectioner's sugar alternately with 3 tablespoons (about) milk until spreading consistency.
- Set aside 1 cup of mixture in a small bowl for filling.
- For filling, stir 1/3 cup each chopped dates, raisins, and chopped natural almonds into 1 cup of mixture. Spread between layers.
- For frosting, melt 5 squares of Baker's semisweet or unsweetened chocolate. Cool; add to remaining mixture. Add 2 tablespoons (about) milk for smooth consistency.
- Frost and decorate the top and sides. Garnish with dates, raisins, and nuts, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 691Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 611mgCarbohydrates: 109gFiber: 4gSugar: 77gProtein: 8g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.
Vintage Baker’s Chocolate Decadence cake with raisins & almonds – Recipe card from 1986