How about a banana split… cake?
Here’s how you can enjoy the classic banana split in cake form — three of your favorite ice cream flavors along with rich fudge and split bananas in a graham cracker crust.
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter/margarine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup heavy cream/whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream
- 6 Maraschino cherries (for garnish)
- Place vanilla ice cream in refrigerator about 40 minutes to soften slightly.
- Meanwhile, finely chop 1/2 cup walnuts (reserve remaining 1/4 cup walnuts for garnish).
- In 9- by 3-inch springform pan, mix chopped walnuts, graham cracker crumbs, 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- With fingers, press mixture onto bottom of pan.
- Evenly spread vanilla ice cream on top of crust; freeze until firm, about 45 minutes.
- While waiting for vanilla ice cream to harden, prepare fudge sauce: In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook cocoa, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup heavy cream, and 4 tablespoons butter or margarine (1/2 stick), stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and boils.
- Remove saucepan from heat; stir in vanilla extract.
- Cool fudge sauce to room temperature.
- Split 3 bananas lengthwise in half.
- Remove springform pan from freezer.
- Pour fudge sauce over vanilla ice cream; top with split bananas.
- Return cake to freezer; freeze 1 hour or until fudge sauce is firm.
- Place chocolate ice cream in refrigerator to soften slightly.
- Spread chocolate ice cream over fudge and bananas.
- Return cake to freezer; freeze about 20 minutes to harden slightly.
- Place strawberry ice cream in medium-sized bowl; let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until of smooth spreading consistency but not melted.
- Spread strawberry ice cream over chocolate ice cream.
- Cover cake; return to freezer and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
- With fingers, break reserved 1/4 cup walnuts into small pieces.
- In small bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat remaining 1/2 cup heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Cut remaining banana diagonally into slices.
- Run knife or metal spatula dipped in hot water around edges of spring-form pan to loosen ice cream.
- Remove side of pan.
- Spread top of cake with whip cream.
- Arrange banana slices, maraschino cherries and nut meats on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.
ALSO TRY THIS ONE: 15-minute chocolate-banana cream pie recipe (1994)