You’ll be the star of the party when you serve this Choc-O-Lantern Halloween cake. Bewitching and so delicious!
Choc-o-Lantern Halloween cake
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Spry [shortening]
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs, unbeaten
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 ounce chocolate, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon each Spry and butter
- 1-1/2 ounces chocolate
- 3-1/2 tablespoons scalded evaporated milk or light cream
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl.
- Drop in Spry.
- Add milk and vanilla and beat 200 strokes (2 minutes by hand or on mixer on low speed).
- Divide batter in half.
- Add grated orange rind to one batter, and melted chocolate to the other, blending well.
- Arrange batters, alternatively by tablespoonfuls, in 12- by 8- by 2-inch Spry-coated pan.
- Run knife through batters several times, both lengthwise and crosswise of pan for a mottled effect.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven (375 F degrees) for 35-45 minutes.
- To make the Choc-o-lantern frosting, combine 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind and 3 tablespoons orange juice; let stand 10 minutes; strain.
- Have ready 3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar.
- Blend 1 tablespoon each Spry and butter.
- Beat in 1/2 cup sugar gradually.
- Add 1-1/2 ounces chocolate, melted.
- Stir in remaining sugar alternating with orange juice.
- Add about 3-1/2 tablespoons scalded evaporated milk or light cream and beat well.
- Frost cake all over; decorate corners and center with "choco-o-lanterns," (orange sugar patties with faces made of melted chocolate).
- Serve with chocolate ice cream and orange sherbet.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 462Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 297mgCarbohydrates: 101gFiber: 1gSugar: 81gProtein: 4g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.