Favorites from our dining room
A fitting end to luncheon at the Institute, this Southern specialty is layered with a rich filling of pecans, fruit, a hint of coconut.
Lane cake recipe
8 eggs, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
2-3/4 cups cake flour
1 cup milk
1 cup butter or margarine
3 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Early in day:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Separate eggs, placing 6 whites in large bowl, 2 whites in small bowl and all the yolks in 2-quart saucepan. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans; line bottoms with waxed paper; grease.
2. In large bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beating at high speed, sprinkle in 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form.
3. Into another large bowl, measure cake flour, milk, butter, baking powder, salt, vanilla and 1 cup sugar. With mixer at low speed, beat until mixed. Increase speed to medium; beat 4 minutes; fold in whites.
4. Pour batter into pans; bake 35 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans; discard paper; cool.
5. Prepare filling. Cut each cake layer horizontally in half. Assemble 4-layer cake with filling.
6. Prepare frosting; frost cake. Makes 16 servings.
Into 8 yolks, stir 1-1/4 cups sugar and 1/2 cup butter. Over medium heat, cook, stirring until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in one 4-ounce can shredded coconut, 1 cup pecan halves, chopped, 1 cup candied red cherries, chopped, 1 cup dark seedless raisins, chopped and 1/3 cup bourbon or medium sherry.
In 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup, 1/3 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling. Boil, without stirring, to 240 F on candy thermometer or until a little mixture dropped into cold water forms a soft ball which flattens on removal from water. Remove from heat. With mixer at high speed, beat reserved 2 egg white until soft peaks form. Pour syrup in thin stream into egg whites, beating constantly. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and continue beating until mixture is very thick.