Make this beautiful custard-filled Venetian rum cake the day before you plan to serve it, and add the toasty meringue topping shortly before serving.
Venetian rum cake recipe card
- 1 large package yellow cake mix
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 14-ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 6 eggs, separated by yolks and whites
- 1-1/3 cups hot water
- Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup rum
- 8-ounces mixed glacéed fruits for cake, finely-chopped
- 3/4 cup finely-chopped pecans
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- Make and bake the cake mix as the label directs for two 8-inch layer-cake pans; cool.
- Meanwhile, make custard this way: In a double boiler top, place the cornstarch and slowly stir in the condensed milk, then the unbeaten egg yolks (refrigerate the whites -- covered, to ensure no smell contamination); stir until smooth.
- Then, while stirring constantly, slowly add hot water.
- Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens -- about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixture into a bowl and lay a piece of waxed paper that covers the surface of the custard (directly on it); refrigerate.
- Getting back to the cake; with a long, sharp knife, split the 2 cooled cake layers in half horizontally, making 4 layers.
- Now, sprinkle the cut surface of each with 1 tablespoon of rum.
- Combine the fruits and the pecans.
- Now place 1 cake layer, cut side up, on a heatproof platter. Spread with 1/3 of the (now) cold custard, then sprinkle with 1/3 of the fruit-nut mixture.
- Repeat, using 3 cake layers; top with the fourth cake layer, cut side down.
- Refrigerate; then do this the next day, about 3 hours before serving: let the egg whites stand out for 1 hour.
- Start heating the oven to 375 (F).
- Now, with an electric mixer at high speed, beat the egg whites until frothy; add 2 tablespoons of sugar, then beat at a low speed for about 5 minutes, then at high speed for 1 minute.
- Repeat this process until all the sugar is added -- then stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Use the meringue to thickly swirl on the top and sides of the cake.
- Bake until the meringue is golden -- about 5 minutes.
- Cool; Refrigerate.
- To serve, dip a long, sharp knife in hot water, then cut cake into 12 wedges.
Make this cake a day before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 429mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 2gSugar: 48gProtein: 9g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.