Spumoni Elegante (1982)
A deluxe version of a frozen dessert classic: fruit-studded cream filling encased in a luscious layer of velvety egg custard.
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 large lime
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1/3 cup diced mixed candied fruit
- 1 large strawberry for garnish
- Day ahead or up to 2 weeks ahead: In heavy 2-quart saucepan with wire whisk or fork, beat milk, eggs, salt, and 3/4 cup sugar until blended.
- Cook over medium-low heat until mixture thickens and coats a spoon, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently. (Do not boil or mixture will curdle.)
- Remove saucepan from heat; stir in orange extract.
- Pour custard mixture into medium bowl; cover and freeze about 3 hours or until almost firm.
- With back of large spoon, spread frozen mixture evenly to line inside of 8-1/2" by 4-1/2" loaf pan.
- Cover; freeze about 1 hour.
- Grate 1 teaspoon peel from half of lime; set aside.
- Wrap remaining lime with plastic wrap; refrigerate to use for garnish later.
- In small bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy or whipping cream and 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks form.
- Fold in candied fruit and grated lime peel.
- Remove pan from freezer; spoon whipped-cream mixture into center of frozen custard; cover and freeze overnight or until firm.
- To serve: Invert spumoni onto chilled platter.
- For flower garnish, cut remaining peel from reserved lime for stem and leaves; cut strawberry for petals.
- Garnish dessert with lime peel and strawberry slices.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 89mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 0gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.
MORE DESSERT ELEGANCE: What is a Charlotte russe? 8 delicious classic Charlotte dessert recipes