These fluffy butterscotch rolls with pecans have a brown sugar and raisin filling that’s perfectly tucked inside the soft yeast bun. Give ’em a try with this retro recipe from the ’60s!
Butterscotch rolls with pecans: A recipe from the 1960s
Maybe home-baked butterscotch buns never saved a marriage — but they never did one any harm.
You bake them yourself. Right from scratch. You just add everything. Especially lots of love… and Fleischmann’s Yeast.
ALSO TRY: Pecan pizza coffee cake (1968)
Butterscotch rolls with pecans
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Additional Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Fleischmann's margarine
- 2 packages of Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 - 115 F)
- 1 egg
- 4 cups unsifted flour
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons Fleischmann's margarine
- 1 cup (6-ounce package) butterscotch bits
- 1/2 cup chopped Planters Pecans
- Melted Fleischmann's margarine
- 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- First, start by making the dough: scald milk; stir in sugar, salt, and 1/2 cup Fleischmann's margarine.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve Fleischmann's yeast in warm water in a large warm bowl.
- Stir in lukewarm milk mixture, egg, and half the flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in the rest of the flour to make a stiff batter.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours (or up to 3 days).
- Then, when you're ready to shape the dough, prepare the butterscotch topping following the steps below.
- In a pan combine light corn syrup, water, and 2 tablespoons Fleischmann's margarine: bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in butterscotch bits until melted.
- Spread mixture over bottom of two ungreased 8- x 8- x 2-inch pans; sprinkle with chopped Planters Pecans.
- Finally, prepare the roll filling: start by dividing the dough in half.
- On lightly a floured board, roll each half into a 9- x 12-inch rectangle.
- Brush each rectangle with melted margarine and sprinkle with half the brown sugar and raisins.
- Roll each rectangle up tightly from the 9-inch side as for jelly roll. Seal edges.
- Cut each roll into nine 1-inch slices; place, cut side up, over butterscotch mixture in pans.
- Cover; let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 (F) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until done. Makes 18 buns.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 249mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.