In this retro recipe from the ’70s, find out how to make a hearty, delicious and easy beer-cheese soup!
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 1 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 4 to 8 ounces beer
- Cook carrots, celery and onion in margarine in 4-quart Dutch oven until celery and onions are transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in baking mix, paprika, pepper and red pepper; remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Reduce heat; stir in half-and-half, cheese and beer. Heat until cheese is melted.
- Serve with popped corn if desired.
Variation: Cheese-Vegetable Soup: Use 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed chicken broth; omit beer.
High Altitude Directions (3500 to 6500 feet): No adjustments are necessary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 617Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 1166mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 20g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.