Triple Treat holiday bars: A vintage bar cookie recipe from 1973
They’re easy to make. Take one pan, bake one base, then top. Make these bar cookies three different delicious ways: with candied fruits, chocolate glaze, and Blue Diamond almonds — delicious, fresh almonds from the good California sunshine.
Simple tips for bar cookie bakers
- Use a spatula to spread dough in pan. Spread evenly for an even texture.
- Don’t overbake. Overbaked bar cookies are hard and dry.
- Cut into bars with a sharp, thin knife. Cut each section as shown [below] or cut all the same way.
- Store these soft cookies tightly wrapped in the refrigerator.
ALSO SEE: 160+ vintage Christmas cookie recipes
To freeze, prepare and bake cookie bar base as directed in recipe. Cool. Remove from pan. Frost, but do not add toppings. Place in a sturdy box lined with plastic wrap. Close box, label and freeze. Thaw bars by allowing them to stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Decorate with toppings.
MORE OLD-FASHIONED BAR COOKIES TO TRY
- Rocky Road bar cookies: A retro ’70s dessert recipe
- Toll House pan cookies recipe: Classic chocolate chip cookie bars from 1982
- Get 7 classic recipes for deliciously decadent old-fashioned 7-layer bars (aka magic cookie bars)