Make this sweet heart-shaped cake – the loveliest sweetheart cake (1949)
Make this pink delight for Valentine’s Day — or a bridal party or for a birthday, for a wedding anniversary, for Father’s Day, or just to please someone you love.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 4 teaspoons double acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup frosting
- Preparation: Have all ingredients at room temperature. Preheat oven to 375F. Line bottoms of two heart-shaped pans (equivalent to two 9" round pans) with waxed paper.
- Put shortening in bowl.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add 2/3 cup of the milk, and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed of electric mixer, or by hand using 150 strokes per minute.
- Throughout mixing, keep batter scraped from sides and bottom of the bowl with rubber scraper.
- Scrape bowl and heaters.
- Add unbeaten egg whites and remaining 1/3 cup milk.
- Beat for 2 additional minutes.
- Scrape bowl and beaters.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into pans.
- Bake about 28 minutes, or till done.
- Fill and frost with 7-minute icing.
- Reserve a little and tint to match flowers.
- Edge cake with tinted frosting, using the tip of a spoon.
- Coil ribbon around the plate (hold in place with bits of tape if necessary) and tuck sweet peas, or other flowers, into loops.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 415Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 418mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 1gSugar: 49gProtein: 4g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.
Sweet heart-shaped cake vintage recipe card