“Love me tender” Luscious Valentine cake recipe (1949)
Just picture yourself bringing in a Vintage Valentine cake with lollipop frosting like this, drinking in the compliments! And you can make one as easy as can be. Just follow this recipe, using Spry [shortening] and Spry’s one-bowl method.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup less 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 egg whites, unbeaten (separated)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Several red cherry-flavored lollipops, crushed
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl. Drop in shortening.
- Add 2/3 of milk, then vanilla, and beat 200 strokes (2 minutes by hand or on mixer at low speed).
- Scrape bowl and spoon or beater.
- Add egg whites and remaining milk and beat 200 strokes.
- Bake in 2 deep 8-inch shortening-coated layer pans in moderate oven (360 F) 25-30 minutes.
- To make the lollipop frosting, put 2 egg whites, unbeaten, 1-1/2 cups sugar, 5 tablespoons cold water, 1 teaspoon light corn syrup and 1/2 teaspoon salt in top of a double boiler and mix thoroughly.
- Place over rapidly boiling water and beat constantly with a rotary egg beater until mixture will hold a peak -- about 7 minutes.
- Remove from hot water, add 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat until thick enough to spread.
- Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Decorate with red cherry-flavored lollipops, crushed.
- Makes enough frosting to cover tops and sides of two 8-inch layers.
- Spread lollipop frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle crushed red candy (cherry-flavored lollipops, candy sticks, etc.) generously on sides, bringing to top of cake.
- Across the top, print “Love Me True” with additional crushed red candy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 675Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 447mgCarbohydrates: 143gFiber: 0gSugar: 121gProtein: 4g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.