Mocha magic torte
Coffee and chocolate combine elegantly in the four layers of cake and the four layers of rich frosting in this mocha magic torte.
This vintage recipe from Maxwell House coffee was published in 1982.
- 2-1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup Maxwell House instant coffee
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted, cooled
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2/3 cup margarine
- 32 ounces unsifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- Mix flour and baking soda.
- Dissolve instant coffee in water.
- In large bowl with mixer at high speed beat next 3 ingredients until light and fluffy.
- At low speed blend in real mayonnaise and chocolate.
- Add flour mixture alternately with coffee, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake in 350 (F) oven 30 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove; cool.
- Split layers horizontally.
- Fill and frost with the Mocha frosting -- to make frosting, place milk, instant coffee and unsweetened chocolate in a saucepan.
- Stirring constantly, cook over low heat until smooth and thick.
- In large bowl with mixer at medium speed beat margarine.
- Gradually beat in 16 ounces of unsifted confectioners' sugar.
- Add another 16 ounces of confectioners' sugar alternately with chocolate mixture, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Gradually beat in 2-3 tablespoons of milk until of spreading consistency.
Mocha frosting recipe makes 4-1/2 cups.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 576Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 180mgCarbohydrates: 106gFiber: 2gSugar: 87gProtein: 4g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.