Mocha sour cream cake
This retro recipe from the ’70s is for a delicious mocha sour cream cake — a moist bundt cake that gets a flavor boost from instant coffee and chocolate chips.
Mocha sour cream cake
Yield: 20 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Additional Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 3 cups Gold Medal flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Imperial margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces) Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Taster’s Choice coffee
- 2 teaspoons Taster’s Choice coffee
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1-3/4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 (F).
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt: set aside.
- In a bowl combine margarine and sugar: beat until creamy.
- Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream.
- To make the cake filling, combine semi-sweet chocolate morsels, brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of freeze-dried coffee mix.
- Spoon one third of cake batter into greased 10-inch bundt pan.
- Sprinkle the batter with 1/2 filling mixture.
- Cover with another third of batter: then sprinkle with remaining filling and cover with rest of batter.
- Bake at 350 (F) for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Cool 15 for minutes; turn out onto cake rack.
- Cool completely at room temperature.
- After the cake is cooled, make the coffee glaze by dissolving the 2 teaspoons instant coffee in the boiling water.
- Add to sifted confectioners’ sugar and stir until smooth.
- Drizzle the cake with the coffee glaze.
Omit baking powder and salt if using self-rising flour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 259mgCarbohydrates: 97gFiber: 1gSugar: 81gProtein: 3g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.