Chintz cake: A quaint, old-fashioned idea for a modern cake!
Cake-baking revolutionized! You’ve been making cakes just as your number made them — and her mother before her. And then –suddenly — you discover that cake-baking has been revolutionized! You’ll see the beautiful results in this chintz cake — so easy to make.
- 4 cups of Presto Cake flour (divided)
- 1 cup of butter or shortening
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1-1/2 teaspoon of grated orange rind
- 3 egg yolks (lightly beaten)
- 3 egg whites (beaten stiff)
- 1-1/2 cups of water
- Small orange-colored candies or candied orange peel
- Pistachio nuts
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2-1/2 cup of confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange rind
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Orange juice
- Sift and measure 4 cups of Presto flour, then set 1/2 (2 cups) aside.
- Cream the butter (or shortening) with the sugar and vanilla, then divide the creamed mixture in half.
- To one of the halves, add the grated orange rind and the 3 egg yolks.
- Measure out half of the water (3/4 of a cup), and add alternately with about 1/2 cup of Presto at a time, using up one of the aforementioned halved portions (2 cups) of Presto.
- Stir smooth into one later cake pan greased, bottom lined with wax paper and the paper also greased.
- Be sure the pans are 1-1/2- by 9-inches deep.
- To the other portion of the creamed mixture, add the other 3/4 cup of water alternately with about 1/2 cup of Presto at a time.
- Stir smooth after each addition.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the cake mixture in the second layer cake pan, greased, bottom lined with wax paper and the paper also greased.
- Bake both layers at 350 (F) for 45-50 minutes; cool.
- Remove from their pans and put together with orange marmalade or orange frosting.
- Make the orange frosting, starting by creaming the butter with 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar, the grated orange rind, and egg yolk.
- Then, add the 2 cups of confectioner's sugar.
- Moisten the mixture with the lemon juice and enough orange juice to make the frosting right to spread.
- Frost with orange frosting, and decorate with small orange-colored candies or bits of candied orange peel, and split pistachio nuts for the leaves.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 570Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 1gSugar: 54gProtein: 6g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.