Make classic eggnog kringla cookies with a recipe from 1990
Two Christmas traditions (eggnog and Kringla) rolled into one soft, cakelike cookie. (Be sure to use butter to make the soft dough manageable.)
Eggnog kringla cookies
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dairy eggnog
- Sifted powdered sugar and ground nutmeg for topping (optional)
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds or till softened.
- Add sugar and beat till fluffy.
- Add egg and beat well. Add flour mixture and eggnog alternately, beating till well mixed.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Working with half of the dough at a time, on a floured surface, roll rounded tablespoonfuls of the dough into pencil-like strips, about 8 inches long and 4 inches thick. (Keep remaining dough chilled.)
- On an ungreased cookie sheet, loop one end of the strip over the other end to form an oval with the two ends overlapping.
- Bake in a 350 (F) oven for 6 to 8 minutes or till edges just turn light brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack; cool. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar and nutmeg.
Tip: If the dough gets too stiff for your mixer as you’re adding the flour mixture, you may want to stir in the last part by hand.
Note: These instructions are a simplified kringla shape. The traditional kringla looks like a pretzel. For this shape, roll dough into 10-inch ropes. Shape each into a loop, crossing 1-1/2 inches from ends. Twist rope at crossing point. Lift loop over to ends and seal, forming a pretzel shape.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 60 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.