Now it’s here – Streamlined cake-baking
Daughters are learning from mothers
— and mothers are learning from daughters how much easier it now is to make championship cakes, now that the ingredient known as “Presto” eliminates the most common cause of baking failure. It puts in the speed, take out a lot of work and guesswork.
A blessing to brides
Now cake-baking has no terrors for the youngest bride with no cooking experience. Good cakes keep good husbands, and Presto makes good cakes.
A fall eating winner — Cinnamon apple cream cake
12-minute* Cinnamon apple cream cake recipe
- Sift, measure… 2 cups Presto Cake Flour [self-rising low-gluten cake flour]
- Resift with… 1-1/2 cups sugar into mixing bowl.
- Add… 1 teaspoon vanilla
- To… 1/2 cup cold water.
- Whip slightly… 1/2 pint (1 cup) whipping cream just enough to thicken.
- Fold into… 3 egg whites beaten until stiff. Add this mixture to dry ingredients in bowl alternately with the water. Mix lightly until smooth. Divide batter in 2 layer cake pans greased, lined with paper and the paper greased.
Bake. Cool. Frost.
Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Makes: 2 8-inch layers
* 12 minutes from package to oven
Cinnamon apple cream recipe
- Select and peel… 3 medium-sized apples. Cut into quarters. Core. Cut each quarter into 3 pieces and cook slowly in syrup made by
- Mixing together… 1 cup sugar
- And… 1 cup water
- Also… 1/4 cup red cinnamon drops. Cook until sugar is dissolved before adding apples. When apples are clear and tender remove from syrup and cool. Select perfect pieces for garnish. Chop rest.
Whip stuff 1/2 pint (1 cup) whipping cream. Add to it 1 cup chopped cooked apples. Add a little more sugar if desired. Mix lightly. Spread between layers and cover cake. Garnish with whole sections. Store in cool place till served.