Pumpkin chiffon pie recipe (vintage recipe with no-bake filling)
1. Prepare and bake 9-inch pie shell. Cool. (For easier making, roll out 12″ circle of pastry on a 14″ square of Kaiser Broiling Foil. Lift foil and pastry and set in pie plate. Flute and prick. Trim foil and turn up to form a 1-inch collar, which protects edge from over-browning during baking.)
2. Mix 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin, 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon cinnamon together in the top of a double boiler.
3. Stir in 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup water, 3 egg yolks and 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin; mix well. Place over boiling water and cook, stirring occasionally, until gelatin dissolves and mixture is heated through, about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat; chill until mixture mounds when dropped from a spoon.
5. Beat 3 egg whites until stiff; beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Fold in gelatin mixture.
6. Turn into pie shell and chill until firm.
7. Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.
Pumpkin chiffon pie ingredients
1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
3 egg yolks
1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar