CBK Halloween cookies recipe
When using multiple colors of icing, make them before you begin to decorate, so you don’t have to scramble at the last minute.
Prep time: 45 minutes plus decorating
Baking time: 8 to 10 minutes per batch
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 box (1 lb.) confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons meringue powder
6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
Orange, black, green, blue or red paste food coloring
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine flour and baking powder in bowl. Beat butter and sugar in mixer bowl. Beat in egg, vanilla and dry ingredients.
3. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll 1 piece dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes with 2-, 3- or 4-inch cookie cutters; transfer to 2 prepared sheets. Bake cookies 8 to
10 minutes, until edges are golden. Cool on racks. Repeat.
4. Icing: Combine all ingredients in a mixer bowl. Beat 5 minutes, until thick and smooth, adding up to 1 tablespoon more water for piping consistency, if necessary.
5. Divide icing into bowls for separate colors. (Reserve a bowl of white icing.) Tint icing as directed (photo A).
6. Cat and pumpkin cookies: Spoon one-third black or orange icing into a pastry bag fitted with a 2 plain tip (photo B). Thin remaining icing with a little water, until spreadable. Paint cookies (photo C). Let dry 20 minutes, then pipe cookies with reserved icing.
7. Mummy cookies: Spoon three-quarters of white icing into a pastry bag fitted with a #44 basket-weave shaped tip; pipe onto cookies (photo D). Tint remaining icing black; dab with a toothpick for eyes. Makes about forty 3-inch cookies.
Per 3-inch cookie: 145 calories. 5 g total fat. 3 g saturated fat. 18 mg cholesterol. 69 mg sodium. 25 g carbohydrates. 1 g protein. 19 mg calcium. 0 g fiber 0