These wonderfully rich and indulgent caramel apple oat squares don’t take long to make, and these dessert bars are doubly delicious when served with ice cream on top.
If you like these, you might also want to try an apple pie dump cake recipe, or the $40,000 prize-winning apple nut lattice tart recipe (1986).
Caramel apple oat squares: The original vintage recipe card from 1991
Caramel apple oat squares
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Additional Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1-3/4 cups flour (unsifted)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold margarine or butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 ounces soft caramel candies, unwrapped (about 20)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 21 ounces apple filling
- Preheat oven to 375 (F).
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking soda and salt; cut in margarine until crumbly.
- Reserving 1-1/2 cups crumb mixture, press remainder on bottom of 13- by 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Add nuts to reserved crumb mixture.
- In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt caramels with sweetened condensed milk, stirring until smooth.
- Spoon apple filling over prepared crust; top with caramel mixture then reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 3gSugar: 45gProtein: 6g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.