If you like these, you might also want to try an apple pie dump cake recipe, or the $40,000 prize-winning apple nut lattice tart recipe (1986).
Caramel apple oat squares: The original vintage recipe card from 1991
- 1-3/4 cups flour (unsifted)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold margarine or butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 ounces soft caramel candies, unwrapped (about 20)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 21 ounces apple filling
- Preheat oven to 375 (F).
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking soda and salt; cut in margarine until crumbly.
- Reserving 1-1/2 cups crumb mixture, press remainder on bottom of 13- by 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Add nuts to reserved crumb mixture.
- In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt caramels with sweetened condensed milk, stirring until smooth.
- Spoon apple filling over prepared crust; top with caramel mixture then reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 3gSugar: 45gProtein: 6g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.