In this vintage ’70s recipe, savory ground beef meatloaf and canned liver spread retain the characteristic flavor, but not the expense, of the classic ingredients in Beef Wellington: beef rib roast and pate de foie gras.
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4teaspoon dried bay, crushed
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup canned liver spread
- 1 10-ounce package frozen patty shells, thawed (6 shells)
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstrach
- 1 cup condensed beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- Combine the first egg, bread crumbs, wine, 1/4 cup water, onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and bay.
- Add beef; mix well.
- Pat into 8-1/2" by 4-1/2 by 2-1/2-inch loaf pan; turn out onto shallow baking pan.
- Bake in 350 (F) oven 40 minutes.
- Drain meat.
- Set oven at 400 (F).
- Spread top and sides of loaf with liver spread.
- On lightly floured surface, press 3 patty shells together; roll to 10- by 6-inches; cut and patch as needed.
- Place in 15-1/2" by 10-1/2" by 2-inch baking pan.
- Carefully lift meat loaf onto center of dough.
- Press remaining patty shells together; roll to 10- by 6-inches.
- Adjust second rectangle over meat.
- Brush edges of bottom pastry with some of the remaining egg.
- Seal top pastry to bottom, trimming and reserving edges; cut decorations from trimmings.
- Arrange trimmings atop loaf.
- Brush remaining egg over all.
- Bake in 400 (F) oven 30 to 35 minutes.
- While the Wellington is cooking, make the Mock Perigourdine sauce by melting butter or margarine in a small saucepan; blend in cornstarch.
- Stir in beef broth; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Add the wine and olives; simmer for 5 minutes. (Makes about 1-1/3 cups.)
- Drizzle the Wellington with the sauce; serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 641Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 240mgSodium: 769mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 53g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.