A savory side that works with a variety of main courses, this dish has spinach, cheese and green onions — plus sliced almonds for crunch.
ALSO SEE: 11 of the best old-fashioned green bean casserole recipes from the 50s, 60s & 70s
Holiday spinach rice
This retro holiday spinach rice recipe makes 12 servings (or 8 cups) of a delicious and festive-looking side dish.
A savory side that works with a variety of main courses, this dish has spinach, cheese and green onions - plus sliced almonds for crunch.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups regular long-grain rice, uncooked
- 29 ounces Swanson clear ready to serve chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped pimento
- Toasted sliced almonds for garnish
- In 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, in hot butter, cook onions, almonds and rice until onions are tender, stirring constantly.
- Add broth and pepper.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add spinach.
- Cover; simmer 10 minutes more or until liquid is absorbed, breaking up spinach with fork.
- Add cheese and pimento, heat until cheese is melted.
- Before serving, garnish with toasted almonds.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 430mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.