Retro recipe: Beef ‘n potato bake from the ’80s
How to make good casseroles like this beef ’n potato bake great? Durkee’s real french fried onions.
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 ounce brown gravy mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2.8 ounces Durkee french fried onions
- In a shallow 1-1/2 quart baking dish combine potatoes, oil and pepper.
- Firmly press mixture across bottom and up sides of dish to form a shell.
- Bake. uncovered, at 400 (F) for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, brown beef; drain.
- Stir in gravy mix, water and garlic salt; bring to a boil.
- Add mixed vegetables; reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 of the can french fried onions; place in potato shell.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 (F) for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and onions; bake 5 minutes longer.
Make your own casseroles even better:
1. Stir in 1/2 can with other ingredients for zest and flavor.
2. Sprinkle remaining onions over casserole during the last 5 minutes of baking for a magnificent crunchy topping.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 844Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 37gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 1461mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 7gSugar: 3gProtein: 31g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.