Tri-level brownies, as the name indicates, are three-layered bar cookies worthy of an elegant tea.
- 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Begin with the bottom layer; Sift together the 1/2 cup flour, the baking soda, the first 1/4 teaspoon salt with rolled oats and the brown sugar.
- Stir in the 6 tablespoons of melted butter or margarine.
- Pat mixture in 11- by 7- by 1-1/2-inch baking pan; bake in 350 (F) oven for 10 minutes.
- Next, to the middle layer; combine the chocolate, the 4 tablespoons melted butter, and the granulated sugar; add egg and mix well.
- Sift together the 2/3 cup flour, the baking powder, and the second 1/4 teaspoon salt; add alternately with milk and vanilla to chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Spread batter over the bottom layer.
- Return to oven an at 350 (F) for 25 minutes.
- Finally, make the top layer by placing the chocolate and but margarine in small saucepan.
- Stir over low heat till chocolate melts.
- Remove from heat; add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla.
- Blend in enough water (about 2 tablespoons) to make almost pourable consistency.
- Spread over brownies.
- To serve, cut in 16 squares and top each with a walnut.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 3g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.
How to make triple treat tri-level brownies
Some in-process photos for this vintage dessert recipe from the 1960s
Tri-level brownies – Retro chocolate recipe from the 1960s