If you like piña coladas…
This pina colada cake is an attractive, delicious dessert made with packaged yellow cake mix, vanilla pudding mix, coconut — and, of course, rum.
More rum is added to the pineapple topping, which is garnished with maraschino cherries and mint leaves.
Vintage pina colada cake recipe
Pina colada cake (1986)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 18-1/2 ounce package yellow cake mix
- 3-1/2 ounce package vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon orange rind
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 light rum
- 8-ounces canned crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup light rum
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, oil, coconut, orange rind, eggs, water and rum in large mixer bowl.
- Beat 4 minutes.
- Pour into lightly greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325 (F) for 1 hour 10 minutes, until cake springs back when touched.
- Cool cake in pan on rack 10 minutes.
- Combine pineapple, sugar and butter in saucepan.
- Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; boil 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add rum.
- Remove cake from pan, place on serving plate and prick in several places with a fork.
- Carefully spoon warm pineapple mixture over cake.
- Garnish with cherries and mint leaves.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 3g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.