Ice cream cake & hot chocolate frosting recipes from the ’40s
- 1-3/4 cup Presto cake flour
- 1/4 cup butter or shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- Peppermint candy ice cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- Sift and measure cake flour. Set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Measure milk and add to the creamed mixture with about 1/2 cup of cake flour.
- Stir smooth after each addition.
- Fold in egg whites beaten stiff.
- When smooth, divide batter in 2 layer cake pans, greased, bottoms lined with waxed paper and the paper greased.
- Bake at 375 (F) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- If a white edge if desired, rub with finger and roll off the brown crust around the edges only.
- To make the hot chocolate frosting, melt butter, unsweetened chocolate, confectioner's sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Add 3 tablespoons of boiling water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir smooth after each addition.
- When ready to serve the cake, cover one later with peppermint candy ice cream, or any other desired flavor.
- Top with second layer.
- Pour over this layer the hot chocolate frosting.
- Let run over edges -- do not spread.
- Serve immediately.
For individual servings, bake in large muffin pans. Bake, cool, split.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 542Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 103gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 10g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.
Ice cream cake with hot chocolate frosting recipe card
ALSO TRY THIS: Banana split cake recipe (1982)