Goody for you! Who can resist Chocolate Refreshers, made with Nestle’s semi-sweet morsels?
They’re chewy rich goodies everyone loves! Full of nuts and dates and Nestle’s semi-sweet chocolate morsels. They won honors in the latest Pillsbury Bake-Off — and they’ll win honors in your home, too!
Chocolate refreshers recipe
Prize winner in the 11th Pillsbury Bake-off
Chocolate refreshers brownies
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups dates, cut in pieces
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 ounces Nestle semi-sweet morsels
- 2 unbeaten eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1-1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cream
- Sift flour with soda and salt.
- Combine dates, brown sugar, water, butter in large saucepan.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly until dates soften.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chocolate morsels; beat in eggs.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with orange juice and milk.
- Blend thoroughly after each addition.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Bake in a well-greased 15- by 1- by 1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- To make the orange glaze, combine sugar, butter and orange rind; then blend in cream until of spreading consistency.
- Spread the chocolate refreshers with glaze.
- Cut into 20 bars.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 131mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 4gSugar: 37gProtein: 6g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.
ALSO SEE: Double Chocolate Brownie recipe (1982)
I have a bunch of deglet noor dates in the pantry and thought of this recipe. Our mom made them frequently and they are SO good! The dates make the base really dense and chewy and the orange icing is, as in the name, is truly refreshing. Had no idea this was a Pillsbury Bake Off winner, but the 1960 date seems most likely. As soon as the weather cools a bit, I’m headed to the kitchen. Everyone join in!
My mom made these every Christmas – they were my favorite! I actually have her notebook with the original magazine ad/recipe as shown above.