Here’s a special centennial cake… with a special frosting…
“This is Borden’s 100th Birthday Cake — quick and easy to make and melt-in-your-mouth good! Economical, too; instead of the two ingredients, butter and milk, you use just one — Borden’s rich, thick cream.”
Borden's creamy centennial cake (1957)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
For the cake
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pint (1 cup) Borden's heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
For the frosting
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Orange selections
- (Before starting, chill a bowl and rotary beater.) Line 2 lightly-greased 8-inch cake pans with waxed paper.
- Sift dry ingredients together twice.
- Pour cream and vanilla into a deep 1-quart bowl; beat with electric mixer or rotary beater until just stiff.
- Add eggs, beating until blended.
- Add flour mixture; beat at low speed of electric mixer or by hand until batter is well blended.
- Turn into pans.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 F) 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans.
- To make the frosting, take out the chilled bowl and rotary beater.
- Mix gelatin and milk in a cup.
- Place over hot water and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Whip cream until stiff.
- Blend in gelatin and remaining ingredients.
- Chill; decorate with orange slices just before serving.
This makes enough frosting to cover two 8-inch layers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 229mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 4g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.