Crisco’s herb batter fried chicken
“Chicken crisp as a country morning.” – Loretta Lynn
Herb batter fried chicken
- 2-1/2 to 3-1/4 pounds of broiler-fryer chicken, cut up (or use chicken parts)
- 1-1/3 cups of all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon of marjoram
- 1 teaspoon of sage
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of water
- Crisco shortening
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry.
- Place a 1/3 cup of flour in a large plastic food storage bag.
- Place the chicken pieces in a bag, a few at a time, then shake to coat the pieces.
- Combine the remaining 1 cup of flour with the salt, lemon peel, marjoram, sage, thyme, paprika and pepper.
- Blend the egg and the water together, then stir into the dry ingredients.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the batter, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. (Dip larger pieces first.)
- To pan fry: Melt the Crisco in a skillet to about a depth of about 1/4 of an inch (about 1 cup in a 12-inch skillet); heat it to 365 (F) (about "high" heat on the range).
- Brown the chicken pieces on all sides.
- Reduce the heat to 275 (F) (about "moderate" heat on the range).
- Continue cooking uncovered until the chicken is done and tender, about 30 minutes, turning several times during cooking.
- Drain on paper towels.
- To deep fry: Heat the Crisco in a deep fryer set to 365 (F).
- Cook the chicken pieces until they're done, about 10 to 15 minutes, depending upon the size of the piece.
- Drain on paper towels.
Helpful Hints: When pan frying, browning chicken a few pieces at a time in an uncrowded skillet helps the batter adhere better to the chicken. When deep-frying, frying without the basket yields better results.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 640Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 2218mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 39g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.
Herb batter fried chicken recipe card
ALSO TRY: 3 delicious old-fashioned country fried chicken recipes from the ’50s