How to make easy sugar cookies made with vegetable oil (1964)
Try the easy Mazola Corn Oil way to make these delicious cookies
Vintage sugar cookies recipe
2 cups sifted flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Mazola Corn Oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg plus milk to make 1/3 cup
Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl. Add Mazola; blend well with fork or pastry blender. (Mixture will appear dry.) Beat sugar, vanilla and egg-milk mixture together until very light and fluffy. Stir into flour mixture. Chill about 1 hour. Roll out on a floured board or cloth. Cut as desired.
Before baking, place nuts on cookies or sprinkle with colored sugar. For other cookies, arrange candied cherries on a circle of dough; fold over dough to meet center and press to seal. Bake in a 400 F (hot) oven about 9 minutes.
1. Easier to measure Mazola than solid shortening.
2. Easy to mix, quick, few ingredients.
3. Dough handles nicely, easy to roll.
4. Cuts well, even with the new popular plastic cutters.
5. Recipe can be doubled and stored in the refrigerator and made up as needed.