Taffy meringue gingercake: A gingerbread cake with molasses meringue on top
ALSO SEE: 6 traditional gingerbread recipes (1910)
- 1/2 cup Kellogg's All-Bran cereal
- 1/2 cup Brer Rabbit Molasses
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon Brer Rabbit Molasses
- Measure Kellogg's All-Bran, Brer Rabbit Molasses, shortening and boiling water into mixing bowl.
- Stir until shortening is melted.
- Add egg yolks and beat well.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices; add to bran mixture, stirring only until combined.
- Spread in greased 9- by 9-inch baking pan. (If the Teflon-coated pan is used, no greasing is needed).
- Bake in moderate oven (350 F) about 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- For the meringue: Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add molasses and beat until stiff.
- Spread over slightly cooled gingercake.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Yields 9 three-inch square servings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 2gSugar: 57gProtein: 8g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.