Oranges next to snow / Living it up in the desert
A mission as old as the US / Southern California park
Exciting Los Angeles / A desert scene (but it’s no mirage!)
1960s Los Angeles and vintage Southern California
Vintage Southern California: Spectacular ’60
Come any time! The fun lasts all year. Enjoy all our famous attractions… plus dozens of colorful, exciting events. Find hundreds of new vacation experiences all around you.
In 1960, find a new world of sunny scenes, plus a bonus of exciting special events! Come out any time — the big Southern California Spectacular ’60 celebration is on right now and lasts all year.
- SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SYMBOLS: A sun-warmed pool, azaleas in full bloom.
- HOLLYWOOD BOWL SYMPHONIES UNDER THE STARS: July-August. In 38 years, stopped by weather twice.
- BIG LEAGUE BASEBALL: See champ Dodgers play. Starting April.
- HOLLYWOOD AT NIGHT: Nearby see giant movie and TV studios, the stars’ footprints.
- TURTLE SWEEPSTAKES: They’re loosed in a circle, first one out wins.
- GRUNION RUNS: Certain nights they flop up on beaches, are caught for fish fries. June-August.
- CATAMARANS glide over a quiet Pacific bay. Sailing is one of our year-round sports.
- RODEO SEASON starts in spring, attracts many top cowboy stars.
- FLYING FISH RETURN: World’s largest skim over Avalon Bay. April.
- “THE STACK”: Our freeways come together here at the downtown interchange.
- BEVERLY HILLS: Typical scene at one of the world’s most beautiful residential areas.
- PALMS AND MOUNTAIN SNOW: Mt San Bernardino towers over orange groves.
THE YEAR’S BIGGEST VACATION SHOW!
FREE: Color Sight-seeing Map of Los Angeles County, all Southern California. Locates 645 sights, 100 stars’ homes. For your copy write All-Year Club, Div. H-3, 628 West 6th Street, Los Angeles 17, California.
ALL-YEAR CLUB OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA – This advertisement sponsored by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors for the cities of Glendale, Hollywood, Inglewood, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Pasadena, Pomona, Santa Monica, Torrance and 181 other communities.
1960s Southern California: All this at hometown prices (1965)
All four seasons are vacation seasons in Southern California. That’s unusual, but good.
With visitors coming out here all around the calendar, we can afford to be reasonable. Most hotels, motels, restaurants and shops charge about what you’d pay at home. Yet look at all there is to see and do!
Spring desert show of wild poppies / Big Santa Monica Bay
Try subtropical shopping! / Striking new Music Center
Pacific drama: surfer pits his skill against a tricky wave… and wins.
Typical Pacific sunset / Watch movieland light up
1960s Hollywood and Los Angeles: Night street scene with neon signs
Vintage Southern California (1966)
Credit our gentle climate. It lures visitors to Southern California the whole livelong year. There’s no one boom season when “everybody comes.” Just four good vacation seasons instead.
So prices for meals, lodging and whatnot don’t shoot up and down. You’ll pay about what you would at home. Remember, too, you’ll see the U.S.A. on the way! Mail coupon now.
Free Official Vacation Guide. Color pictures, sightseeing map, dozens of Southern California attractions.
Shown: Suburban San Fernando Valley — close to mountains, the Pacific and metropolitan attractions
Vintage Los Angeles area: Sights like these are all around you. (1964)
Southern California is a world of variety. But so compact, you can see all this.
You’ll like it more because of a very rare climate (found nowhere else in North America). Rainless summers with cool nights. Vacation weather all four seasons. Why not visit us soon?
Shown: In subtropic cities, see pools, patios, modern homes that spell Southern California — Footprints of 125 stars here (Sophia Loren); In spring, see miles of wildflowers; 200 miles of Pacific sights; weird miniteral formations; winter, spring in one view
Summertime at the Pacific: a warm sun, a cool sea breeze — and no rain (1965)
Should we charge extra for our rainless Summers? The nights are cool, too. And the humidity refreshingly low.
Yet Summer vacation prices in Southern California generally are no higher than Winter, Spring or Fall prices. Why? These seasons are just as attractive here. And with a year-round climate, year-round prices make sense.