San Francisco’s Cliff House (1896-1907)

One of several incarnations of the San Francisco landmark, this French Chateau version of the Cliff House — considered by many to be the finest of them all — opened in February 1896. (Read more about the opening celebration here.) The National Parks Service noted that in its heyday, the Cliff House was visited by presidents Hayes, Grant, McKinley, Roosevelt and Taft.

Although the structure managed to survive the great earthquake of 1906, it dodged one bullet only to be hit by another, and was completely destroyed by fire in September 1907. The Cliff House still exists today, albeit in a much smaller form — so still, the legacy lives on.

The Cliff House & Ocean Beach – 1899

The Cliff House – 1900

 

Cliff House & Seal Rocks from Sutro Heights

 

The Pacific Ocean view from Sutro Heights

 

View of Ocean Beach with Cliff House in the background

 

>> Also see: Opening of the Sutro Railway & Cliff House (1896)

The Cliff House burning – 1907

MORE
The Titanic's last desperate SOS messages sent as the ship was sinking (1912)

Send this to a friend