Ring around the rum cake
A super recipe that cooks beautifully and cleans up quick in Teflon II cookware.
- 3 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup ground nuts (almonds, pecans, or walnuts)
- 1-1/2 cups canned apricot nectar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup light or dark rum
- 2 eight-ounce cans mandarin oranges, drained
- Heat the oven to 350 (F).
- Grease and flour a 12-cup cake pan.
- Measure all ingredients, except last 6 [which are for the sauce], into a large mixer bowl.
- Blend for 1/2 minute on low speed, scraping the bowl constantly.
- Beat for 3 minutes on high speed, scraping the bowl often.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until cake tests come back done.
- Turn out unto rack and cool cake.
- For the Rum Sauce, combine the apricot nectar and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch and water into a smooth paste; stir into hot sauce.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and clears.
- Drizzle the cake with a little of the sauce, and serve slices topped with the remaining sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 325mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 1gSugar: 36gProtein: 5g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.