Chocolate Angel Pie recipe
In this retro recipe for a chocolate angel pie, a light, creamy double chocolate filling sits inside a perfect pastry crust.
“Nothing’s tastier ’cause nothing’s flakier.” – Loretta Lynn
- 1-1/3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 package (4 serving size) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 425 (F).
- Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in Crisco with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture is uniform (mixture should be fairly coarse).
- Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time; toss lightly with a fork.
- When all the water has been added, work dough into a firm ball.
- Press into a flat circle about 1/4-inch thick and about 1-1/2-inches larger than an inverted 9-inch pie plate.
- Gently ease dough into a pie plate, taking care not to stretch the dough.
- Trim 1/2-inch beyond the edge of the plate.
- Fold under to make double thickness around the rim.
- Flute edge of pastry as desired.
- Prick the bottom and sides of the pie shell with a fork. Bake at 425 (F) for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool - begin to prepare the pie filling.
- Combine pudding mix and cocoa in a medium bowl and blend well.
- Add milk.
- Beat with a rotary blender or at the lowest speed of an electric mixer for one minute.
- Fold in the thawed topping.
- Spoon filling into the baked pie crust.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Garnish with additional whipped topping and/or chocolate shavings, if desired.
- Store leftover pie in freezer or refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.