Caribbean coconut chicken recipe from the ’70s
Serve your Caribbean coconut chicken with cornbread or French bread, pear-lettuce salad, and a full, dry white table wine. For dessert, orange sherbet sprinkled with orange liqueur and grated dark chocolate, served with coffee.
Caribbean coconut chicken
- 6 whole broiler-fryer chicken breasts, split and boned
- 6 tablespoon butter or margarine, divided
- 2 large sweet onions, very thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads, steeped in 1 tablespoon hot water
- 4 ounces sliced pimientos
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons melted butter or margarine (or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Season chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper.
- Fold loose corners of each breast piece under to form a compact triangle of meat.
- In skillet, gently brown chicken pieces in about 4 tablespoons of the butter (or olive oil) on all sides.
- Arrange in single layer in shallow 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish or oven-proof serving dish.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to drippings in skillet.
- Add onions and sauté until tender.
- Stir in brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, the saffron, pimientos, currants and lemon juice.
- Spoon evenly over chicken.
- Cover and bake in preheated 375 (F) degree oven 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the coconut crust -- toss together thoroughly 6 tablespoons melted butter or margarine (or olive oil), 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper, 2 cups flaked coconut and 1/4 cup chopped parsley.
- Remove cover and sprinkle coconut crust over chicken.
- Put back in oven and bake, uncovered, 10 minutes, or until coconut is lightly toasted.
- Spoon juice over chicken as your serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 441mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 5gSugar: 23gProtein: 9g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.
ANOTHER CHICKEN DINNER IDEA: Chicken Marengo recipe (1967)