Tips on doll repairing
by Emil E Brodbeck
A little girl may have a number of dolls, but there is always one which is “special.” To the child, this doll is irreplaceable.
In time, any normal child is bound to damage her doll, even if she is careful, and if you can really and truly fix that “special” baby, you’ll be well repaid by the happiness you give her.
For expert advice on this subject, I consulted Joanne Shaw who has a doll studio-hospital in White Plains, New York.
I found that one of the commonest doll injuries is to the eyes. It is virtually impossible to replace eyes so they will move, but reset in a stationary position, they should last quite a while. If the original eyes are not usable, new ones can be bought for about $1.00 a pair at a doll hospital. To reset eyes, first remove head. Composition-head of a cloth-body doll is usually held by a circular wire tightened around neck. This should be untwisted and opened.
To replace a wig will cost a minimum of $2.00 for a good grade of hair, so if the doll requires both eyes and wig, you might prefer to buy a new head with painted hair and moving eyes ($2.25 to $3.00). But the child would probably not be happy with this change.
1. Eyes have prongs at top, weight at bottom. These must be cut off carefully with wire cutters. Place eyes in head (face down), checking position of eyes.
2. Add plaster of Paris slowly to 1 teaspoon water. Mix well. Plaster should be moist enough to drop off spoon. Drop a spoonful behind one eye, recheck, let dry. Set other eye.
3. Head is replaced. Face needs touching up. Sand lightly with finest emery cloth. Blend flesh-tone enamel with oil coloring to tint it to match doll’s face.
4. If body has lost original firmness, fill out with kapok (can be bought in department stores). Turn in edges of opening and overcast with heavy thread.
5. Holes are filled with plaster stick. Limbs are lightly sanded, then cleaned with alcohol. Let dry, give 2 coats of paint. To paint, suspend doll with wire under arms.
6. Complete restringing of body parts is a job for a hospital, but doing one limb is fairly easy. With bent wire grasp body elastic, hook limb to it, gradually ease limb into socket.