Enjoy this original Treasure Chest Salad — home party size. It’s easy. Here’s how:
1. Use one big pineapple for the chest. Cut it to a rectangular shape (about 7″ x 3-1/2 x 3-1/2).
2. Scoop out center of “chest.”
3. Reserve curved top slice, with peel intact, for lid.
4. Peel remaining shell, the re-cover sides and ends of chest, attaching with toothpicks to pineapple meat.
5. Prop lid on chest with toothpicks.
6. Fill chest with fresh fruit, cut like jewels. (See fruit salad recipe idea below)
7. Gild salad with Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise.
A recipe to try for the fresh fruit salad to put inside your pineapple treasure chest (1964)
1 pint strawberries
2 medium oranges
1 cup fresh sweet cherries
1 cup green grapes
1 cup red grapes
1-2 cups of cantaloupe or melon of choice, scooped
Slice off pineapple top; cut pineapple into lengthwise eighths. Place rind side down on cutting board. Cut meat from rind with sharp knife, following curve of fruit. Remove any remaining eyes with point of knife; cut off core. Cube and chill pineapple.
Wash, hull and chill strawberries. Pare grapefruits and oranges with sharp knife, cutting completely through white portion; remove sections one at a time, cutting down along one side section and gently lifting other side away from membrane with knife; chill.