Here’s a retro recipe from the ’70s & ’80s that offers a different take on a taco salad!
This lunch or dinner taco salad puff bowl is made inside a puffed bread-like crust that you make with Bisquick, then bake and fill with fresh ingredients.
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 4 eggs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope (about 1/4 ounces) taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/4 head lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Dairy sour cream
- Sliced ripe olives
- Prepare Puff Bowl, starting by heating the oven to 400 F.
- Generously grease pie plate, 9 x 1-1/4 inches.
- Heat margarine and water to boiling in 2-quart saucepan.
- Add baking mix, cornmeal and oregano all at once. Stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball, about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Continue beating until smooth. Spread in pie plate (do not spread up side).
- Bake until puffed and dry in center, 35 to 40 minutes; cool.
- Now for the filling: Cook and stir ground beef and onion in 10-inch skillet until beef is brown; drain.
- Stir in water and seasoning mix (dry). Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Place Puff Bowl on serving plate; fill with beef mixture. Top with remaining ingredients. Cut into wedges. Serve immediately.
Do-ahead Tip: After baking, Puff Bowl can be wrapped and frozen up to 3 months (do not store at room temperature or in refrigerator). To serve, place unwrapped Puff Bowl on ungreased cookie sheet. Heat in 400 F oven until thawed and crisp, about 10 minutes.
High Altitude Directions (over 3500 feet): Not recommended for use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 638Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 221mgSodium: 869mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 34g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.