Lemony celebration cake (1985)
Whatever the occasion — a spectacular homemade cake completes the party! Delight your guests with a lovely lemon layer cake with a luscious lemony buttercream frosting and luscious fruit preserves on the inside. It’s easy to bake, and perfect for any special occasion.
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups butter
- 1/2 cup solid white vegetable shortening
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup raspberry preserves
- Fresh flowers, optional
- Heat oven to 350 (F).
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk and vanilla; beat at low speed until just blended, scraping bowl often with rubber spatula.
- Increase speed to medium; beat 4 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally, until batter is well blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until golden and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from pans; cool on racks.
- Meanwhile, prepare lemon buttercream frosting -- with an electric mixer at high speed beat butter and vegetable shortening until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add 4 cups confectioners’ sugar until well blended.
- Add milk, vanilla extract, lemon extract and freshly grated lemon peel; beat until smooth.
- Add a few drops yellow food coloring, if desired.
- Going back to the cakes -- with a long, sharp knife, slice each cake layer horizontally in half to make 4 layers.
- Place one cake layer cut side up on cake platter; smooth 1/4 cup raspberry preserves evenly on layer; repeat with next two layers.
- Place last cake layer on top, cut side down; frost top and lightly frost side of cake, using about one-third frosting.
- To decorate, use a large, #9 rosette tip and large pastry bag, pipe remaining frosting in decorative lines, stars and swirls on cake as shown.
- Pastry bag works best when half-filled and kept cool.
- Arrange fresh seasonal flowers on top of cake, if desired.
Lemon curd or strawberry preserves may be used instead of, or alternated with, the raspberry preserves.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, qualifying purchases made via our links earns us a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 508Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 0gSugar: 56gProtein: 3g
Click Americana offers approximate nutrition information as a general reference only, and we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. Please make any necessary calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, and consult with a qualified healthcare professional if you have dietary concerns.