Create a holiday sensation with Duncan Hines & a bowl full of cherries
Duncan Hines special moistness and your special touch create a holiday sensation, the centerpiece of a joyous season — a cherry Christmas tree cake.
Cherry Christmas tree cake recipe: A vintage desert from the ’80s
2 packages Duncan Hines butter recipe golden cake mix
1 cup softened butter or margarine
1-1/3 cups orange juice
Grated peel of 2 oranges
3 21-ounce cans cherry pie filling
2 or 3 cans Duncan Hines vanilla frosting (You will need 2 cans to frost cake and 1 can [optional[ for decorative frosting)
3/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
I. Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease and flour a 9″ x 13″x 2″ pan.
2. Combine in large bowl: 1 package cake mix. 3 eggs, ‘/3 cup butter. 2/1 cup orange juice. Mix at medium speed for 4 minutes. Stir in grated peel of 1 orange. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Cool for 15 minutes, then remove cake from pan.
5. To bake second cake, repeat steps 1 through 4.
6. Place completely cooled cakes upside-down and end-to-end on platter. Spread 2 cans frosting on top and sides. Draw a tree shape and border in frosting as shown. Optional: Mix can of frosting with 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar, and pipe decorative border around top and bottom edges of cake.
7. Place a colander or strainer in a large bowl, pour in cherries and stir to drain (do not rinse). Using a spoon or fork, fill in tree and border with tightly packed rows of cherries.