8 low-cost crafts in shell designs
by Ann B Bradley
Inspired by shells and sea life, these lighthearted craft delights are easy as a beach breeze to make. The eight charming designs, done for us by Kathryn Stoll, use materials at hand, inexpensive fabrics or scraps, and easy-to-come-by yarns and sewing aids from Coats & Clark.
1. Dye-craft shell pillow in muslin is simply scallop-shaped, then RIT tie-dyed in subtle shell shadings.
2. Canvas deck or beach mat is stenciled in pastel shades of instant shoe coloring.
3. Afghan looking like a gift from the sea is crocheted with shell ribbing in opalescent colors.
4. Seascape roll-up placemat with ties is a pretty whimsy of cotton remnants appliqued on canvas with easy zigzag machine stitch.
5. Starfish pillow cover combines lacy crochet over yellow cotton.
6. Tie-on chair pad of stuffed shell puffs is done with printed remnants.
7. Shell-shaped rag rug features a unique pile, achieved by shirring strips of less-than-new printed or solid sheets, then stitching them to canvas in seashell swirls.
8. Sea-urchin pillow cover is quick-knitted on fat needles in pretty, pale yarns.
Cute & cheap shell design vintage crafts