Looking for a date… recipe? Try these three classic date dessert recipes from 1982: date-cinnamon bread, date-bran cookies and banana-date snack squares.
Date-cinnamon bread recipe
An easy-to-make refrigerator dough
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
2 packages active dry yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 (8-ounce) package Dromedary chopped dates or pitted dates, snipped
1. Scald milk; stir in sugar. salt and butter or margarine. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Place warm water in large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved. Stir in lukewarm milk mixture, egg and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Refrigerate dough at least 2 hours.
3. Divide dough in half. Roll each piece on a floured surface into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle half of cinnamon mixture, then half of dates over each rectangle.
4. Starting with narrow side, roll each into a loaf. Turn under ends. Place on greased baking sheet, seamed edges down. Cover with clean cloth; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until double in bulk, about 1 hour. Bake in preheated moderate oven (375°F.) 20 minutes or until done. Makes 2 loaves. (Freeze 1; serve 1.)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets. Dissolve instant coffee in water; set aside. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
2. In large bowl of electric mixer, beat butter or margarine and sugar until creamy. Add eggs. one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat coffee into sugar mixture. With mixer at low speed. blend in flour mixture just until blended. Fold in bran cereal and dates.
3. Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheets immediately and cool on wire racks. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
Banana-date snack squares recipe
A take-along snack — good anytime, any place
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 small bananas, mashed (about 2/3 cup)
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup Dromedary chopped dates or pitted dates, snipped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch square pan.
2. In large bowl of electric mixer, beat butter or margarine and sugar until creamy. Add egg, vanilla extract and bananas; mix until blended. Stir in flour. baking powder, cinnamon. salt and nutmeg until blended. Fold in dates and walnuts.
3. Spread mixture into pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tester or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into 25 (1-3/4-inch) squares.