|Christmas Pound Cake (1913)||
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1/2 pound of fine granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/2 a lemon rind, grated
- 2 teaspoonfuls lemon juice
- 1/2 pound of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon [baking] soda
- 1/2 pound raisins
- 1/2 cup walnut meats
- Cream a half pound of butter and add gradually a half pound of fine granulated sugar.
- Add the yolks of five eggs beaten until thick, the grated rind of one-half a lemon, two teaspoonfuls of lemon juice, and half a pound of flour, mixed and sifted with one-fourth of a teaspoon of soda.
- Beat three minutes and add a half pound of raisins cut fine with the scissors and dredged with one and a half tablespoonfuls of flour.
- Add a half cup of walnut meats, broken in pieces.
- Add the beaten white.
- Turn into a buttered and floured angel cake pan and bake 55 minutes.
- Remove from the pan, cover with boiled frosting and place on a plate on a tray garnished with holly berries and leaves.