From Mrs G G Gere, 1762 Waller Street, San Francisco
|Strawberry meringue pudding||
- 1 quart milk
- 4 eggs, whites and yolks beaten separately
- 6 tablespoonfuls sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoonful butter
- 1 salt spoonful butter
- 1 saltspoonful salt
- 2 teaspoonfuls vanilla
- 3 cups graham bread crumbs
- 3 cups strawberries
- 1/4 teaspoonful [baking] soda
- 1/2 a nutmeg
- Add bread crumbs and salt to the milk; melt butter and stir in.
- Beat the yolks of eggs, add four teaspoonfuls of the sugar, mix thoroughly and then add to the milk and bread crumbs.
- Grate the nutmeg and add with the vanilla.
- At the last, dissolve the soda in a little boiling water and stir in.
- Butter a pudding dish and pour this mixture in.
- Bake in a steady oven until the custard is set.
- Sweeten your berries, crushing them slightly; spread over the pudding.
- Then beat the whites of the eggs stiff, add the two remaining tablespoonfuls sugar and cover the berries with this.
- Place in the oven until a delicate golden brown.
- Serve cold with cream, sweetened and flavored.