|Plain New England cake (1900)||
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- butter the size of an egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Melt the butter and stir into a little of the milk. Beat this into the sugar.
- Beat the three yolks with the white of only one of the eggs and mix into the rest of the milk. Then add to sugar and butter.
- Sift baking powder into flour and add last. Beat well, flavor with vanilla.
- Bake in long biscuit pan and [when done] cover the top with the following frosting:
- Frosting: Stir one-half cup milk into two cups sugar. Boil for two or three minutes without stirring. Remove from fire, add vanilla and beat to a cream. Spread thick over the cake.